Completed Tagteam Cycling Routes



WHERE WE HAVE BEEN. The colored lines on this map represent where we have tagteam cycled since 1 Aug 2015. BLUE lines = 2015, YELLOW lines = 2016, RED lines = 2017. We will continue to update this map as we complete additional route segments (we are not done yet!).

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Days 104 & 105: Fort Wayne, IN

We got rolling early on Friday, and I blasted out the 41 miles to Poe, IN before 10 am.  There was a front coming through, so I rode into a brisk headwind pretty much the entire way, but the temp stayed in the low 70s the whole time.  


From there we loaded up the bikes and drove to Fort Wayne, IN, where we are camped at Johnny Appleseed Campground ($22, power, water, showers and free wi-fi), which is owned by the city.  The entire campground is well shaded, enough so that the 90+ degree temperatures didn't feel anywhere near that hot.  We lucked out and got the last campsite that was available for the two nights.

The main attraction for me in Fort Wayne is the Allen County Public Library, home to one of the larger (2nd largest?) genealogy collections in the nation.  So I poked around there to see what I could learn about various family lines.  I didn't find a whole lot, but at least there are a few more stones that are no longer unturned.  And I did find a few interesting details to add to one of the books that I've been working on.

Since we planned on staying two nights, we also found a bike shop to do some maintenance on my bike.  I needed to have my rear wheel trued and tensioned, to replace the cheap chain that I got in Florida and to get new shifter cables.  I really should have replaced the chain by the time we entered New York, but when we had time on our hands to do so, there weren't bike shops nearby.

We also restocked the pantry, which was getting quite bare.  There was an Aldi just across the street from the bike shop, and later we got some other things that we needed at Walmart.

We also ran out of propane early on Saturday morning.  It was about three months since our last fill up, which is our normal rate of consumption.  It was convenient that we ran out here, as it wasn't difficult finding a place to get it refilled.

It hasn't been a real exciting weekend, but it was nice to avoid yet another day with the wind blowing too hard from the wrong direction.  The prospects for tomorrow are much better...

No comments:

Post a Comment